Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Peeps Sunflower Cake - Cute And Simple

On Easter Sunday, i invited my whole family (including in-laws) to dinner.

I wanted to have a nice dessert that was kid-friendly, because between my sister and myself, we have a half dozen kids running around.

My wrist still isn't taking a whole lot of action without me paying for it the next day, so i decided to make a Peeps Sunflower cake. I've seen it on the internet for the past few years, and i just thought it was so cute!

I used a standard yellow cake recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cook book. It's my husband's favorite cake color/flavor. (You can use any cake you would like for this.) Honestly, it didn't come out too yellow so next time i make one i need to look for a new recipe. I've been using my cook books more than the internet for recipes lately because sometimes internet recipes just don't come out right. It's not always the case, but i find myself having to tweak more recipes i get from the web... and when i need to bake something and don't want to screw it up, i know my BH&G book won't fail me.

I went for a chocolate frosting. I used the butter icing recipe from my book as well, and i think next time i may try something different, like a cooked icing.

I did one coating with a thicker icing, and i made another batch of icing a bit easier to spread for the finishing layer.

I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and patterned them out in circles, just like a sunflower.

When it was time to put the Peeps on, i used some extra frosting to cement them onto the cake a little better.

It was really cute and my family loved it! My teenage son loves Peeps, and he got a real kick out of it.

My only complaint is that it was difficult to get the Peeps on there and make them look ROUND. Maybe i should have tacked them down with toothpicks or something. Oh well, Sunflowers are perfect either, are they? Haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment